Sunday, September 28, 2008

Adult Education 101

I managed to get through summer school with flying colors. I took two poetry classes. One was poetry as literature and the other was a beginning poetry writing workshop. Both classes were taught by Christopher Salerno. I pretty much enjoy all types of poetry but I spent a good part of my summer studying the romantics and came to the understanding that I need to be reading more modern poets. My favorite new poet is Matthew Dickman and his first book "All American Poem" arrived yesterday from Barnes & Noble.

This summer I also took a Shakespeare class during the second summer session. We studied seven of the tragedies and comedies in five weeks. You should be impressed as Hamlet has four thousand lines. I thought I might go insane by the end of it all. Tomorrow my family and I are going to see my Shakespeare instructor in "The Merchant of Venice."

No comments: